Reading is one of the primary keys and secrets of success. It opens up a whole new world and develops the mind of the reader. It is even said that readers are leaders. This is why children and students alike are constantly being encouraged to read both fiction and nonfiction works. Reading books would expose you to a gold mine of veritable information which you wouldn’t have known ordinarily. It keeps your mind sharp and hones whatever skills you possess.
Most writers learned how to write by reading books written by other people. Entrepreneurs become successful by reading and learning about business tactics. Even students learn by reading.
The Benefits of Reading
Of what use and importance is reading? Here is how reading can beneficial and powerful:
- It boosts the imagination: Reading books, essays or articles can greatly boost the imagination of the reader. It helps you to develop your imaginative ability and create and enter a world of your own imagination. Your imagination is a mighty weapon. Most children get their imaginative abilities by reading or seeing colorful storybooks and pictures. For example, if you are reading a book about mythical creatures and the medieval times, you would find yourself imagining a world filled with fiery dragons and castles with walls made of stones.
- It improves your memory and mental health: Daily reading helps you to achieve mental health. How does this happen? Reading is a form of mental exercise. When you read books daily, you are exercising your brain and putting it to work. This boosts your mental health and well-being.
In the same vein, reading books daily would also improve your memory. You would find out that you remember details and information from the books you read easily and can readily analyze them when you need to.
- It increases focus and concentration: Reading involves a huge amount of concentration and focus. If you are reading a book or an article, you would not understand the message being passed across unless you focus. Constant reading would enhance your ability to focus and concentrate. Think of it as practice. When you regularly practice something, you’d eventually become good at it. Similarly, when you read, you practice focus and concentration and with time, you’d get better at focusing and concentrating on important things.
- It serves as a source of stress relief: Several things can serve as stress agents and cause tension for you. It could be work, family issues, quarrels or anything of the sort. You can escape from all that by picking up something to read. When you read, you are lost in a whole new world and you can get away from all the tensions of real life. Reading relaxes the nerves and brain, thereby relieving you of stress.
- It expands your knowledge and communication skills: Reading is a way of learning new things and gathering new information. Reading teaches you new things and you gain knowledge from it. It prevents you from being ignorant and gives you all the important facts. When you read, you do not just expand your knowledge of things and events, you equally learn how to communicate ideas and feelings. Books are simply a compilation of ideas which are communicated to the readers. Thus, when you read, you learn how to communicate your own ideas.
- It boosts your intelligence and literacy: Most intelligent people and geniuses are avid readers. Constant reading sharpens and stimulates your cognitive abilities. It helps you to boost your intelligence levels. It also enhances your literacy skills. This is why children are taught to read as part of their literacy curriculum. When you read, you expand both your active and passive vocabularies. You would come across and learn new words you haven’t heard of before and improve your speaking, reading and writing skills.
Reading is a very powerful tool. In addition to all the benefits listed above, it is also beneficial for self-development and empowerment.
How reading is important for self-development and empowerment.
Self-development or empowerment is the process whereby you acquire knowledge or learn some skills and attach an economic value to the knowledge or skills. It involves setting goals and making the necessary changes or adjustments in order to achieve the set goals. The theory of personal or self-development and empowerment is hinged on the basis that every human being needs to improve and add value to themselves. To achieve self-development or empowerment, you need to take a couple of actions. Reading is one of them. Reading takes you some steps further in life. Without reading, you remain in one spot in life. You would have no opportunity to learn new things or get tips on how to develop and empower yourself. One aspect of self-development or empowerment is the mental aspect. Reading develops your mind. You become intelligent and well-versed.
One attaches value to himself or herself by gaining knowledge. As stated earlier, reading expands your scope of knowledge. You have to read constantly and regularly in order to gather as much information as you can. When you have a firm knowledge of things or facts, you are already well on your way to developing and empowering yourself.
The learning and acquisition of skills are not just limited to practicals. You equally have to read and educate yourself in order to learn more about whatever skills you are trying to acquire. If you are a writer, you can develop your skills by reading books written by other writers. Let’s assume that you are a seamstress. If you want to add more value to your skills and line of work, you have to read. Read the stories of other seamstresses who are in the limelight. Read different books about sewing. Read about new and unique trends in the fashion industry. Gather as much knowledge as you can and direct it to your skills. In no time at all, you would stand out amongst others in your industry.
Constant reading has the power to completely transform your life. It makes you a different person entirely and you can be successful just by reading and applying the knowledge in real life. Most successful people attribute their success to reading. An example is Elon Musk, who is the CEO of Tesla and Space X. In an interview, when he was asked how he learned how to build rockets and became so good at it, his simple answer was: “I read books”.
Mark Zuckerberg also emphasized the importance of reading as he admitted that reading gave him a whole new perspective of different topics.
Oprah Winfrey equally attributes her success and transition from poverty to riches to reading books.
If you want to attain new heights of development and empowerment, you need to read because reading is what makes you unique and different from the others.